Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Introducing: Dylan Owen

I've featured Dylan Owen more than few times here on HotLeaks, so I figured it would only be appropriate if I officially introduced him to you. Dylan Owen just finished his freshman year at Cornell University, and has been making music since he was in middle school. I was first introduced to Dylan on facebook. One day I logged on, and I had received a message about a track that I should check out (The track was "Book Report", in case you were wondering.). I gave it a listen and I was hooked instantly. Ever since then, I feel like I have been getting a steady flow of stuff from Dylan, and it's all been sick. He's got a sound and a flow that is just so different from other guys in the game right now, so I really dig it. I've also noticed that his name has been popping up on more and more blogs, so I think Dylan is really starting to blow up. If don't know his name yet, you should. I recently had the opportunity to ask him a few questions, so hit the jump for a full interview.



HotLeaks: Start with a simple question, where are you from?

Dylan Owen: I'm from Orange County, New York. The real OC?

HL: How did you get started into the hip-hop scene?

DO: I really just loved music, and found an outlet expressing myself in writing, so I started performing in the local area in Orange County as a young high schooler. First paying my dues with open mics and coffeeshops, and in later high school getting some bigger shows at places like The Chance in Poughkeepsie or Croc Rock in PA. All throughout the years I recorded a ton of music, was consistently writing, and released a couple projects. Eventually this took me to where I am, in the post-Senioritis college world performing as frequently as I can and doing work on my music everyday.

HL: From the tracks that I've heard, your lyrics really seem to tell stories. Did you draw from personal experience for them?

DO: Barring a few lines, my material is straightforwardly non-fiction.



HL: I have also noticed that your tracks are usually infused with some great instrumentals. Do you produce your own tracks?

DO: I do not produce my own tracks, although I assist in some of the piano/guitar melodies on various songs. I work closely with a few select producers, especially Nico Marchese who is largely responsible for the sounds on Senioritis. Check his beat listings out here http://soundcloud.com/nic0theproducer/tracks

HL: You put out an EP with Devin Arne back in 2008, has your sound changed much over the years?

DO: I would say my sound has definitely changed a ton over the years. However, my approach to writing and music is still exactly the same. I write what I feel for other people who can feel it, too.

HL: From what I gather, you've just finished your freshman year at Cornell. How do you cope with being a student, AND an artist who's doing shows with guys like Sam Adams and Mac Miller?

DO: It's quite the time commitment keeping up with the music world, the academic world, and the social world at the same time, and unfortunately there definitely has to be sacrifices in certain of those departments at certain times. You just gotta do your best keep those to a minimum, keep it real, and stay in school.



HL: Is there anyone who really influences you and your music?

DO: Definitely. As for the more obvious ones, I'm a diehard underground hip-hop fan and am especially influenced by Sage Francis, Brother Ali, Eyedea, Grieves, Mac Lethal, Macklemore, Tonedeff, Prolyphic, and guys of that nature. However, I'm also seriously influenced by a lot of the other music I listen to, such as a few of my favorite acoustic/folk artists who are killer lyricists, such as Conor O'Berst of Bright Eyes, The Tallest Man on Earth, and even groups like Death Cab or guys like Damien Rice.

HL: If you could work with ANYONE in the world, who would it be, and why?

DO: Eminem. Because I'd learn some things that I currently can't even comprehend.

HL: Do you have any big plans on the horizon?

DO: Yes. Oh yes. To be announced later in summer, that is. Just keep your friends close and you'll know before you know it.

I wanted to thank Dylan for his time to answer the questions. Now, seriously, you need to check Dylan out on facebook and on twitter, and be on the watch for more from Dylan in the coming months here on HotLeaks.

2 comments: